Since the overdose crisis started it seems like stimulant overdoses have been put on the back burner.
What is a stimulant?
A stimulant is a substance that makes you more alert, awake and energetic.
Some examples of stimulants are:
- methamphetamines and most ADHD medications.
When we think of overdoses we often associate it with a person being unresponsive or dead. This is not always the case.
Signs of a stimulant overdose
- Dilated pupils
- Elevated heart rate
- Raised temperature
- Chest pain
- Heart Attack
A stimulant overdose can lead to death. In the case of an overdose it is best to be treated by a doctor. Call 911 if it is an emergency.
There is no antidote to an stimulant overdose. Sometimes hospitals may help treat symptoms with benzodiazepines or antipsychotic medications.